Article Summary Writing Exercise – Instructions and Article Link
In-Class Writing Assignment
WHAT IS A SUMMARY?
A summary is a restatement of the main ideas of an article or passage of text. Summaries are composed in your own words and demonstrate your ability to understand what you have read, to locate the important ideas in the reading, and to communicate those ideas to someone else.
You need to carefully and critically read the article provided. You then need to compose a no more than 1 page summary that
· Clearly identifies the article you are summarizing by title and author
· Clearly states the overall main point of the article in one sentence in your own words
· Briefly provides the necessary supporting points of the article in your own words
· Correctly cites the source in APA format with in-text citations and a References section at the end of the paper
Your summary should be in essay format, using complete sentences and paragraphs. Any material taken word for word from the article must be in quotation marks and cited with a parenthetical citation that includes authors’ last names, publication date, and page number.
Callahan, D. (2004) The cheating culture: Why more Americans are doing wrong to get ahead. Orlando: Harcourt.
GRADING GUIDE – Please use these criteria to guide your work on this assignment.
Description for Students
Maximum Points Possible
Main Idea: Accurately conveys the Main Idea of the Article
You have accurately explained the main idea of the article in your own words.
Support: Selects appropriate supporting ideas
You have chosen the correct supporting ideas from the article to show how the author has made his/her claims and stated them in your own words. You have provided clear statements of the author’s ideas without providing excessive information from examples or evidence used by the author.
Content: Provides sufficient and appropriate information for understanding
You have provided enough information from the article that a person who has not read it could understand the main point and the supporting points and evidence. No unnecessary information is provided and no necessary information is missing.
Clarity of Writing: Logical Order of Ideas
Your ideas follow a logical pattern throughout the paper. Information is provided where a reader would need it to understand the topic and information is not repeated unnecessarily. You have used transition words such as further, however, or similarly to show the relationship between ideas.
Clarity of Writing: Paragraph Structure
You have composed clear paragraphs with topic sentences that state the main idea of the paragraphs followed by sentences that relate only to the topic introduced in the topic sentences.
Clarity of Writing: Word Choice
You have chosen words that are appropriate and make sense for the topic you are writing about. Few or no words are misused or are too informal for the assignment.
Mechanics: Sentence Structure
You have used correct sentence structure throughout, with correct subject-verb placement, and minimal errors in use of modifiers and transition words.
Mechanics: Grammatical Errors
You have minimal errors in grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
Citations: Signal Phrase
You have included a correct APA signal phrase with the authors last name and publication date.
Citations: In-text Citations
You have included a correct APA-style parenthetical citation at the end of the summary. You have included citations with authors last name, date and page number for any quotations taken word for word from the article. All quotations are also correctly indicated with quotation marks.
You have included a correct APA-style References citation at the end of the paper. Correct citations include all required information and are formatted correctly with a hanging indent.
10Purchase answer to see full
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.