Discussion: Othering/Belonging-Asian Immigration Narratives/PoliciesIntroductionFor much of the nation’s history the debates are around immigration and immigrants centrally point at the issue of identity–who is considered an American and how is not, and by extension, who belongs here and who does not. California has played an important role in these debates throughout its history. For this first activity on the history of Immigration we will look at two different historical eras and the narratives and immigration policies relating to Asian-American experience. More specifically, through this history we will learn about the systematic process of “othering” and “belonging”. Definition of othering from MacMillan dictionary:”treating people from another group as essentially different from and generally inferior to the group you belong to”Step 1: Matching ActivityStep 2: Synthesis QuestionsHaving completed the matching activity in step 1, Answer the following three questions:For each of your groupings, describe the image the narratives slides were trying convey about Asian & Asian Americans? In your response, include an example of a policy that may have used this narrative as justification.Look back at the context slide for each grouping: Explain the dominant groups self-interest(s) that might explain what shaped the narratives and policies for each era.As you can see the views regarding the racial characteristics of Asian and Asian Americans in the narrative slides change from one era to the next. What does this reveal to you regarding the social construction of race?How does each set of narratives ultimately “other” Asian and Asian Americans in their respective eraHs?
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.