Week 4 – Discussion 2
11 unread reply.11 reply.
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
Schizophrenia and Smoking [WLOs: 1, 2, 4] [CLOs: 1, 2, 4, 6]
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, read Chapters 11 and 12 in your course textbook, which cover the biological basis of emotion, addiction (substance abuse disorder), and disordered behavior. It is known that the rate of smoking behaviors in schizophrenia occurs at a higher rate than the general population, and there are many theories in the research literature that have tried to explain this connection. In this discussion, you will analyze the high rate of smoking in those diagnosed with schizophrenia compared to the general population.
In your discussion, be sure to
· Discuss the neurobiology of nicotine use disorder, nicotine dependence, and smoking behaviors as a substance use disorder.
· In addition, describe the relationship between the neurobiology and psychological factors in schizophrenia and the connection to smoking behaviors.
· Include information on brain structures, neural pathways, neurotransmitters/receptors, and genetics in schizophrenia, as well as how psychological factors may affect the prevalence of smoking in this population, as well as the success of smoking cessation interventions.
You must use a minimum of one peer-reviewed and/or scholarly source that was published within the last five years, documented in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. Your post should be a minimum of 250 words. You may cite and reference your textbook, required or recommended reading, or multimedia, but these will not fulfill the source requirement.
· Make sure to use terminology by the American Psychiatric Association (2013) DSM-5 for psychological/behavioral health conditions and current terminology from professional sources for neurological conditions. Please be sure to access the American Psychiatric Association’s (2013) DSM-5 directly in our library. For further information view
The DSM-5: Accessing and Using the DSM-5 in the University of Arizona Global Campus Library (Links to an external site.)
screencast on how to access and use this resource, and how to cite and reference the American Psychiatric Association (2013).
Respond substantively to a minimum of two of your classmate’s original posts. Address the neurotransmitter/receptor systems and/or neuroanatomical structures involved in both nicotine use disorder and schizophrenia, and comment on the research analysis of your classmate. In addition, please observe the following guidelines for all responses:
· Provide a courteous and interactive learning environment.
· Continue to monitor the discussion board throughout the active learning week and reply to anyone (instructor or classmate) who has chosen to respond to your original post.
· Your responses should address (at minimum) the neurotransmitter/receptor systems and/or neuroanatomical structures involved in nicotine use disorder and schizophrenia, care interventions, and the research analysis of your classmate.
· Each response should demonstrate that you have read the existing replies on the board (in your response, mention information and viewpoints already expressed by existing responses to the same post).
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.